Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Don McLean's American Pie

The topic of the meaning to Don McLean's American Pie came up last night at the on-on-on. The wikipedia entry is below. At one time I actually knew what each lyric was supposed to refer. But my memory has faded fast.
The short version is this:
Recorded in 1971 and released that year on the album of the same name, the single was a number-one U.S. hit for four weeks in 1972. The song is an allusive history of rock and roll that starts with the deaths of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and J. P. Richardson, Jr. (The Big Bopper) in a plane crash in 1959, and ends in 1970.

Wikipedia - Don McLean

1 comment:

Pull the Plug said...

Chaka...thanks for educating me on this subject. I've always liked that song, but could never quite grasp the meaning. When I was a kid, JP Richardson's brother was my Sunday School teacher in Beaumont. We were all so sad when the the Big Booper was killed in the plane crash.